I asked on Twitter and Instagram if y’all wanted me to share my recipe for the vegetable wraps I made for me and my mum on Thursday after work, and I saw only ‘yes please’ votes. So, without further ado: let me teach you how to make my own vegetable wraps!
Ingredients (for 4 wraps)
- 1 leek
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 zucchini
- Crème Fraîche
- Grated cheese
- Tortilla wraps (natural)
First step: cut the vegetables:
- Clean the leek and cut off the top dark green part. Look at the outer leaves. If they look tough or fibrous, throw them away. Cut off the base of the leek right at the bottom where you see the leek hairs. Then slice the leek as thinly as possible by slicing the bass right down the centre. Then lay it on its flat side and continue slicing. Clean it again in a big bowl of cold water.
- Clean the bell pepper thoroughly. When it comes to cutting up bell peppers into small dice, start by cutting 1/2″ off the top and bottom of the bell pepper. Cut two vertical slits through the flesh of the bell pepper. Open the pepper and use the knife to remove the core; discard this. Lay the pepper halves on the cutting board, skin-side down, and use a sharp knife to cut into small strips. Rotate the pieces by 90 degrees and cut the strips into an even smaller size.
- Cut the stem off of the onion. Lay the onion flat cut side down on the cutting board and slice in half. Separate the halves and peel off the first layer of the onion. Make vertical cuts with the tip of the knife. Make sure you don’t cut through the root end. Then turn the onion horizontal and cut crossways. Once you read the end, flip the onion, and with the flat side on the cutting board, continue chopping till done.
- Wash the zucchini thoroughly. Cut off both ends. Then cut the zucchini into cubes (brunoise style). Cut the zucchini in two halves. Take the first half and put it standing up on the cutting board. Cut in 5 ‘slices’ slicing down from top to bottom. Place all 5 slices on top of each other and make sure they’re all equally straight before attempting to cut 4 lines into the pile. Then turn it so you can chop the 5 slices with the 4 lines into tiny cubes. Repeat this with the other half of the zucchini, or if you believe you’ve got enough, you can store this piece in the fridge or throw it away.
Second step: preparing the stuffing
- Heat a pan with butter until it’s melted.
- Mix all the vegetables together in one big bowl.
- Add the mixed vegetables to the pan and cook it all together for about 6 minutes on low to medium fire.
- Once cooked, put it in a new bigger bowl and add the grated cheese over the top. Mix this through the vegetables.
- Add 3 spoons of Crème Fraîche to the mixture and mix it until it gets a bit of a sticky texture.
Third step: make the wraps
- Get a single wrap and wet both sides. Don’t overdo it! Wet your fingers a couple of times by using the tap and gently rub the water onto the wrap. Place it onto a plate suitable for the microwave and microwave for 10 seconds.
- Add the vegetable mixture (including cheese and Crème Fraîche) to the wrap and fold it up.
Please don’t forget to mention my name whenever you share this recipe elsewhere!
Love, Skye Lewis ❤