We all need to eat at least two pieces of fruit a day to keep the doctor away. It’s wise to eat two different kinds, but what’s actually classified as fruit? That, and more, in today’s fun facts article!
- The study of fruits is called pomology.
- A banana isn’t a fruit, it’s an herb. Since they’re easily digestible and highly nutritious, these are the first fruits offered to babies.
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside. There are 200 seeds in an average strawberry.
- Red coloured fruits keep your heart strong.
- Orange-coloured fruits tend to keep your eyes healthy.
- Yellow-coloured fruits prevent you from getting sick.
- Green coloured fruits help to make your bones and teeth strong.
- Purple and blue fruits help improve memory.
- Apples float in water because they consist of 25 percent air.
- A kiwi has twice as much vitamin C in an orange.
- 7000 different varieties of apples are grown all over the world.
- Pineapples are actually berries and ripening can be accelerated by turning it upside down.
- Dried fruit contains more calories than fresh fruit because the drying process reduces water content and volume.
- Eggplants are actually fruits and not vegetables. In fact, they’re botanically known as berries.
- A cucumber is not a vegetable but a fruit.
- Tomatoes are not a vegetable but a fruit. They’re considered the world’s most popular fruit and have more genes than humans.
- Eating an apple is a more reliable method of staying awake than consuming a cup of coffee because it gives you more energy. The natural sugar in an apple is more potent than the caffeine in coffee.
- A pomegranate can contain more than 1000 seeds.
- Apples, peaches and raspberries all belong to the rose family.
- Drinking grapefruit juice while taking some prescription medications can cause instant overdose and death.
- Pumpkins and avocados aren’t vegetables. They’re fruits.
- According to a study, avocados are the most nutritious fruit in the world.
Love, Skye Lewis/Deem ❤
Image source: Pexels